Antalya has a population of 1,095,157 (2009 census). It is known to be a resort and conference town and is one of the cities where many Dutch tourists spend their holidays, mostly around the gulf of Antalya (including Alanya, Kemer, Dalaman). After Istanbul, Antalya has the most Dutch companies: 17% of all Dutch companies in Turkey are based in Antalya. Antalya had two school projects with Dutch schools.
In the STGM database a total of 157 NGO’s were listed of which 14 were dedicated to education and youth, 8 to culture and 3 to arts.
Akdeniz University was founded in 1982. At present, there are 12 faculties including Arts and Sciences, Fine Arts and the faculty of Communication. Its Institute of Fine Arts provides education at master and doctorate levels. The Olbia Cultural Centre on campus was established in 1999 and has a Fine Arts Gallery and an amphitheatre with a capacity of 1500 seats. The University is a member of the European University Association and involved in international relations and projects such as Leonardo and Erasmus. Its campus is located in Antalya city centre.
Events and organizations that are relevant for art and culture in Antalya are:
- Antalya Festival takes place every year for 18 days between 12-29 September.
- Mediterranean International Music Festival takes place every year in the last week of September or at the beginning of October and lasts 6 days. It attracts musicians from all over Europe.
- Antalya International Folk Music and Dance Festival Competition: Last week of August
- Aspendos International Opera and Ballet Festival has been organized by the Turkish State Opera and Ballet directorate since 1994 with international participation by opera and ballet companies. The festival is held annually each June and July in the two thousand year old ancient Roman Aspendos Theatre of Aspendos.
- Antalya Dokuma Modern Art Centre (a conservation and a regeneration project involving a textile factory)
- Electronica festival in July
- Antalya’s state theater is very cultural.
- Every year Antalya hosts the International Plastic Arts Festival http://www.antalyaplasticartsfestival.com/