Bodrum (Mugla Province 0252)
Bodrum Castle hosts several cultural festivals throughout the year. A nucleus of intellectuals started to form after the 1950s around the writer Cevat Şakir Kabaağaçlı, who had first come here in exile two decades before and adopted the pen name ‘Halikarnas Balıkçısı’ (The Fisherman of Bodrum). Bodrum was popularized among Turkey's educated classes by this group of key intellectuals. Since then, Bodrum has constantly endeavored to attract people with artistic backgrounds. Bodrum now hosts many poets, singers and artists. Bodrum is also a party town and attracted commercially-minded investors and tourists. Differences between the sensitivities of the intellectual residents with the interests of the tourist industry, is an issue that surfaces frequently.
- Electronic festival (in Heaven club)
- Bodrum International Ballet Festival had its 8th edition in 2010. It was held at the Bodrum Castle. www.bodrumballetfestival.gov.tr
- Bodrum cultural center (in Dibekli Han) with exhibitions and panel discussions organized by a husband and wife.
- Bodrum artists hotel, artists residency
- In Bodrum-gümüşlük Latife Tekin runs ‘gümüşlük akademisi’ organizing multi disciplinary workshops and residencies
- there is a 500 seats amphitheater
- ‘Cura’ Residency in Bodrum is run by Erzincan Alemdaroğlu and İz Öztat.
- In the city of Datça, close to Bodrum, an art complex with a museum and artist residencies is built.